As a Public university with Legal Entity, Universitas Hasanuddin (Unhas) obligatorily publishes its research results for the public so that there are opportunities to implement research results for the public interest. Furthermore, research publication can be a platform for discussion with other researchers. Therefore, it can generate opportunities for sustainable research.
Formally, the follow-up of any academic research results is publication. This step is a structured form of dissemination to ensure the validity and continuity of discoveries. Moreover, publications encourage other researchers’ citation as a means for research and researcher reputation.
National and International Conference
Director of Communication, Ir. Suharman Hamzah, PhD, explained that in addition to journal publication, Unhas also issued a policy for lecturers to present their research results in an academic conference, both at the national and international level.
“In addition to sending lecturers and researchers to attend academic conferences, Unhas also facilitates work units within it to host conferences. We also encourage the publication of internal journals that are directed to become reputable journals, both in national and international indexation,” said Suharman.
International conference activities carried out by work units within the scope of Unhas received funding support facilities of IDR 60 million. The largest allocation of this funding assistance was directed to the cost of publications and international speakers who attended.
Throughout 2021, Unhas held 18 international conferences by 16 faculties/schools. Papers presented at these international conferences are then published in the Scopus indexed proceedings or the Web of Science and reputable international journals. Although the entire international conference was held online, the number of participants and the papers presented experienced a significant increase.
Unhas also does not rule out national seminar activities. In 2021, Unhas will host four national seminars organized by four faculties. The outputs are in the form of national proceedings and national journals.
National and International Seminar
Suharman explained, to encourage international reputation, in 2021, Unhas will begin strategic steps to carry out various activities involving researchers and lecturers of world-renowned universities. For example, World Top Scientist Webinars invited researchers with a worldwide track record of research and have network links with Unhas.
“We held 11 World Top Scientist webinars that presented 11 top world researchers from Australia, China, Japan, Finland, USA, UK, and Iran,” said Suharman.
Furthermore, we conducted the Diaspora Webinars, which presented Indonesian researchers and lecturers who are active in universities or educational institutions abroad. Throughout 2021, Unhas held 24 diaspora webinars which presented 26 diaspora people as speakers. The diaspora came from universities in Australia, France, the Netherlands, Japan, Malaysia, the UK, USA, Finland, UAE, and Singapore.
“Each work unit conducts various international and national webinars in partnership with other individuals and institutions. Likewise, national webinars in collaboration with certain partners,” said Suharman.
The governance of internal journals published by work units within Unhas is driven by the Publication Management Center (PMC), which consistently accompanies each journal to achieve national accreditation levels, global indexation, and recognition (recognition) as a reputable international journal.
Up to 2021, Unhas has had 92 scientific journals published in e-journal format. Thus, there was an increase in nine new journals or an increase of 9.78% from the previous year.
A total of 68 journals (73.91%) have been indexed on the Digital Reference Garba (Garuda) of the Ministry of Research and Technology. A total of 41 journals (or 44.56%) have obtained the status of accredited national journals, as many as 12 journals (or 13.04%) have been indexed globally, and three journals have achieved the rank of reputable international journals.
Details of Unhas Published Journals that have Accredited National Journal status:
– Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences: 6 journals
– Faculty of Agriculture: 5 journals
– Faculty of Cultural Sciences: 4 journals
– Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences: 3 journals
– Faculty of Forestry: 3 Journals
– Faculty of Social and Political Sciences: 3 journals
– Faculty of Engineering: 3 journals
– Graduate School: 2 journals
– Faculty of Law: 2 journals
– Faculty of Economics and Business: 2 journals
– Faculty of Medicine: 2 journals
– Faculty of Dentistry: 1 journal
– Faculty of Public Health: 1 journal
– Faculty of Animal Science: 1 journal
– Faculty of Pharmacy: 1 journal
– Faculty of Nursing: 1 journal
– Institute for Research and Community Service: 1 journal
Based on the national accreditation ranking, the distribution of journals published by Unhas is as follows:
– Accredited by Sinta 1: 3 journals
– Accredited by Sinta 2: 4 journals
– Accredited by Sinta 3: 5 journals
– Accredited by Sinta 4: 23 journals
– Accredited by Sinta 5: 6 journals
The increase in scientific journals published by Unhas that are nationally accredited every year has increased, as follows:
– 2015: only one nationally accredited journal
– 2016: only one nationally accredited journal
– 2017: became two nationally accredited journals
– 2018: became nine nationally accredited journals
– 2019: become 34 nationally accredited journals
– 2020: become 36 nationally accredited journals
– 2021: become 41 nationally accredited journals
The proudest thing is the success of Unhas in listing three Scopus indexed journals, which have a high reputation. The three journals are:
1. Journal of Forest and Society, published by the Faculty of Forestry, is indexed SCOPUS (quartile Q1 2021), SJR 0.35, and Web of Science (Emerging Sources Citation Index). Editors-in-Chief: Dr. Moh. Alif K. Sahide and Micah R. Fisher.
2. Hasanuddin Law Review (Halrev), published by the Faculty of Law, has been indexed by Scopus since April 2021.
3. Canrea Journal: Food Technology, Nutrition, and Culinary Journal, published by the Faculty of Agriculture, indexed by Scopus since December 2021.
Kumara Tungga Dewa, S.S.
Editor: Ishaq Rahman, AMIPR